FIERCE Awards recognize and celebrate those making a transformative impact on the lives of cancer patients. Nominate an individual or organization for one of five FIERCE Award categories:
- Prevention and early detection
- Reducing cancer disparities
- Patient navigation
- LEAP (Leadership through Exemplary and Awesome Purpose)
Prevention and Early Detection
- Janet McKiernan R.N., N.P. for implementing screening and early detection initiatives to prevent head and neck cancer over the course of more than four decades.
- American Lung Association’s “Saved By The Scan” for its comprehensive public awareness campaign resulting in increased lung cancer screening rates.
Reducing Cancer Disparities
- Lorna Haughton McNeill, PhD, MPH for launching Project CHURCH, an effort to reach African American communities and engage them in cancer prevention and research.
- St. Jude Global for creating a global health system ensuring that children with cancer have access to quality care and treatment no matter where they live.
- Cynthia Cantril, RN, MPH, OCN, CBCN for demonstrating what it means to be an oncology nurse navigator and creating a system-wide approach to cancer services.
- Angel Flight West for transporting cancer patients and their families to receive the care they need by arranging donated flights.
- Ernie Bodai for convincing Congress and the U.S. Postal Service to issue the Breast Cancer Research Stamp to support breast cancer research and for his leadership in survivorship to improve health and lower risk of recurrence of breast cancer.
- The STAR Program at the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University for its research-based surveillance and follow-up care for adult survivors of childhood cancer.
LEAP (Leadership through Exemplary and Awesome Purpose)
- Justine, Tristan and Camille Almada for fundamentally improving the cancer experience for patients with HPV and anal cancer by creating education, awareness, and research initiatives.
- Let’s Win! Pancreatic Cancer Foundation for creating a crowdsourcing platform that mobilizes doctors, researchers and patients to share clinical information on promising pancreatic treatments and trials.